Sorry for the inconvenience but I will not be watching and recapping the Top 5 this week. Instead I will provide random thoughts from the song spoilers I saw before the show and some interesting info I got off Vote for the Worst.
- This week's themes were Divas and Songs From the Year You Were Born. I was actually a little excited for the "year you were born" songs, because some choices can be entertaining. I saw that Candice sang "Straight Up" by Paula Adbul, which sounds kind of awesome and entertaining in a funny way. Imagining Candice trying to be sassy and sexy with her furious face singing almost made me want to watch the show.
- The Divas theme I wasn't liking too much. The Idol contestant's definition of diva songs are dreary, done to death ballads sung by really great vocalists (Whitney, Mariah, Aretha, Celine, Christina, Beyoncé, and I'll even throw in Adele). Essentially, songs the contestants should stay away from because they can't actually sing that well. And what do you know, Mariah, Whitney, Celine, and Beyoncé were sung in the Divas round.
- I did laugh at Janelle's song choice for the Divas round because I thought the song title was a joke. But no, apparently Dolly Parton really does have a song called "Dumb Blonde". Huh.
- During an Idol press release earlier this week, it was confirmed that the judges had to use the save this week, in order to ensure that the finale would end on time. There were supposed to be Top 5 performances on April 17 and 24 because the show was scheduled so the judges had to use the save this season.
- And then... the save wasn't used when Janelle was revealed to have the lowest amount of votes. And now because there are only four contestants left, the show is ending a week early (no complaints here).
- Then the return of Lazaro. This is two-fold because Lazaro has become pretty damn awesome since he got kicked off.
- A couple weeks ago, Angie's Twitter showed that she'd favorited a few tweets of people hating on Lazaro after Burnell got sent home. After he got eliminated, he had an interview with ABC News Radio backstage at Live with Kelly and Michael:
- “I’m not gonna say names and I don’t wanna sound rude, but I think that one woman in particular is cra-a-a-a-z-y and she wants to win! [...] She thinks that we’re in The Hunger Games and she’s fighting for her life. She needs to realize that it’s not about winning: it’s about what you do after the show.”
- Hmmmm, I wonder who this crazy bitch is? Later, Lazaro's sister Jany tweeted about supporting Amber since Lazaro is off the show. Someone tweeted her back, asking "not Angie?" Jany replied, "lol no why would I? she's fake and talks shit. at least amber is real and humble and sweet."
- Afterwards, Lazaro did an interview with TV Line, saying there was no way five guys were voted off in a row without some sort of manipulation from the producers. It was fairly obvious from the start that the producers had the judges praise the girls to the moon (despite sucking) all the while completely sandbagging the guys. Lazaro also said that the producers and band changed the key to "Close to You" about five minutes before he performed it. He also says that he wanted to sing "Ticket to Ride" during Beatles week, but the producers made him change his song (he mentioned it to Ryan after the judges' critiques).
Okay, well hopefully things will start to simmer down next week and I'll be recapping the Top 4, even though they're all really boring and can't sing. I wrote all this super quick and now I'm off to watch the women's all-around at the European Championships. MUSTY VS. PIKACHU SHOWDOWN 2013.
Aliya's starting on beam and finishing last on uneven bars. This is gonna be a nail biter.